Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The Clone Wars - S5E16 - "The Lawless"

0:56 - Korkie (to Satine):  "I'm here to rescue you."  Luke says the same thing to Leia in A New Hope:  "I'm Luke Skywalker; I'm here to rescue you" [1:16:09].

3:42 - Satine:  "Obi-Wan, I need your help."  Queen Amidala says the same thing to Jar Jar in The Phantom Menace ("I need your help" [1:37:55]); Obi-Wan to Padmé in Revenge of the Sith ("Padmé, I need your help" [1:38:44]); and Obi-Wan to Luke in A New Hope ("I need your help, Luke.  She [Leia] needs your help." [36:03]).

6:52 - Obi-Wan (to a Death Watch guard, after pieces fall off his ship):  "Terribly sorry about that."  C-3PO uses the same expression in The Empire Strikes Back, apologizing to Lando about Chewbacca ("I'm terribly sorry about all this, after all, he's only a Wookiee" [1:42:41]), in Return of the Jedi, when he runs into R2-D2 on Jabba's sail barge ("I'm terribly sorry" [30:49]), and in Attack of the Clones ("I'm terribly sorry about all this!" [1:53:41]).

9:14 - Obi-Wan hits the control panel of the Twilight to get it working again after it fails to respond, similar to what Han Solo does with the Millennium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back [35:07].

14:37 - Bo-Katan (introducing herself to Obi-Wan):  "Bo-Katan.  I'm here to rescue you; that's all you need to know."  An-other use of "I'm here to rescue you."

16:49 - Maul:  "I sense a presence, a presence I haven't felt since...."  Vader says almost exactly the same thing in A New Hope:  "I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...." [1:06:45].  Each senses the presence of his former master.

17:54 - Sidious pulls his lightsabers out of his sleeves, just as he does, albeit with only one, in Revenge of the Sith [1:11:20].

18:57 - Obi-Wan (to Bo-Katan):  "You're Satine's sister, aren't you?  I'm so sorry."  In both the structure and the realization of a familial relationship, this is similar to what he says to Padmé in Revenge of the Sith:  "Anakin is the father, isn't he?  I'm so sorry." [1:40:24]

---

Similar to what Han Solo does with a pair of stormtroopers in A New Hope, Obi-Wan lures a Death Watch guard into his ship and then takes his armor to use as a disguise.  Two of the shots in these sequences even have similar compositions, with an empty landing ramp and off-camera sounds of an attack.